top of page

Vaccines & Deworming


Vaccination schedules should be based on an individual horse’s needs and potential exposures. We will gladly discuss what vaccines best suit your horse and your program. Typically vaccines are given in both the Spring and the Fall but there are always variations to this regime. Core Vaccination Schedule for All horses Rabies - Administered once a year for all horses Eastern/Western Encephalitis/Tetanus - typically administered in the Spring West Nile Virus - Administered in both the Spring and the Fall Optional Vaccinations based on Exposure Risk Flu (Influenza) and Rhino (EHV) administered in both Spring and Fall Potomac Horse Fever (PHF) - administered in both Spring and Fall Botulism - typically given in the Fall Strangles - Strep Equi is a disease we routinely see in this region. We strongly recommend vaccination for this disease if your horse is at risk for exposure. Lyme - Currently there is not an approved Equine vaccine for Lyme disease. Veterinarians are using a vaccine created for dogs in place of this vaccine. Other than providing an antibody response there is no scientific proof this prevents the disease in the horse. We can administer this vaccine upon request but do not specifically recommend it. Deworming Horses Fall into 3 categories when it comes to parasites. High, Medium or Low shedders. 80% of horses are Low shedders with the remaining 20% falling into Medium and High shedders. A fecal egg count is required to determine which category your horse falls into. Ideally a fecal egg count is performed in the Spring around April 1 and the results determine which deworming schedule your horse will follow. Low Shedders - April 1 - Quest September 1 - Quest Plus January 1 - Ivermectin High Shedders - April 1 - Quest July 1 - Panacur September 1 - Repeat Fecal and give Quest Plus January 1 - Ivermectin Medium Shedders - Depending on Body condition and housing a decision can be made to follow Low or High Shedder deworming Protocol

bottom of page